- 1 challah or egg bread, with crust removed, ripped apart
- 8oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups blueberries
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups half & half
- In a greased 13×9 casserole dish, arrange half of the bread. Scatter the cream cheese over the bread. Scatter the blueberries over the cheese. Arrange the remaining bread on top.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, syrup and half & half. Pour carefully and evenly over the bread mixture.
- Bake at 350°F. about 1 hour.
- Serve with blueberry sauce (below)
Can be made the day before, refrigerated overnight, and baked the day you wish to serve it.
The Blueberry Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 Tbsp butter
- In a saucepan, mix together sugar, cornstarch and water.Cook over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add blueberries and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until berries have burst.
- Add butter and stir until blended.