Women writers of all ages and from many different walks of life will be featured in the Third Annual
Berkshire Festival of Women Writers, which will take place throughout the month of March, Women’s History Month, at venues all over Berkshire County.
One special event will be a screening of the new documentary film SWEET DREAMS, about the partnership between a dynamic women’s drumming ensemble in Rwanda and the founders of the Brooklyn-based Blue Marble Ice Cream, which brought the first ice cream shop ever to Rwanda. A talk-back with filmmaker Rob Fruchtman and Blue Marble founder and film star Jennifer Dundas will follow the screening, and the event will end with an Ice Cream Social featuring Blue Marble Ice Cream.
Other special events include:
- the screening at the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center on March 15 of several segments of the film HALF THE SKY, based on the book by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, with a community discussion to follow led by Caroline Wheeler of Sister for Peace and Kristen Van Ginhoven of WAM Theatre;
- a staged reading of a new, 21st century version of “Women of Troy,” written and directed by Leigh Strimbeck, at Bard College at Simon’s Rock on March 22;
- Out of the Mouths of Babes on March 1, hosted by Suzi Banks Baum and Gina Hyams, focusing on the complex relationship between mothering and creativity, and featuring readings by Baum and Hyams as well as Michelle Gillett, Janet Elsbach, Nichole Dupont, Jenny Laird and Alana Chernila;
- a gala reading at The Mount on March 23 of the winners of the 2013 Festival Essay Contest, coordinated by Michelle Gillett and Nina Ryan, and judged by Katherine Bouton of The New York Times;
- A reading of women poets hosted by Orion Magazine on March 17 at Bard College at Simon’s Rock, and a panel on the relationship between writers and editors hosted by Berkshire Magazine on March 3 at the Triplex;
- and much, much more!
Most events are free and open to the public on a first-come, first-serve basis. All are located within a short distance from Brook Farm Inn, our Lenox B&B.