There are several beautiful golf courses in the Berkshires. Many of Brook Farm Inn’s guests enjoy a round of golf while they are here. Below is a list of the courses that welcome visitors:
- Cranwell Golf Club in Lenox Mass. is 1 1/2miles from Brook Farm Inn. It is an 18 hole par 70 course that is 6204 yards. They also have a driving range and a golf school. Their website is www.cranwell.com and the phone number is 413 637 2563. Have lunch at the Sloane’s Tavern overlooking the 3rd tee.
- Greenock Country Club in Lee is one of the best maintained courses in the county. It is a 9 hole par 35 course that is 3080 yards. Stay to the left on the par 4 third hole or you will be in the woods (you’ll find some of my balls there). It only takes a few minutes to get there from Brook Farm Inn. The restaurant is Pauline’s and the food is good. The website is www.greenockcc.com and the phone is 413 243 3323.
- Another 9 hole course is the GE Athletic Association in Pittsfield. It is a par 36 and 3022 yards. The phone number is 413 443 5746.
- Pontoosuc Lake Country Club is one of my favorites. The 18 hole par 70 course is 6224 yards. It’s about 20 minutes away but is less crowded in the summer season than the courses that are closer to Lenox. The 15th hole is a par 5 that is 610 yards long. I’ve been on in 4 several times but I have yet to do better than a bogie. The phone number is 413 445 4217.
- Egremont Country Club is about 30 minutes away. It is an 18 hole par 71 course that is 5771 yards. Watch out for the stream that runs the lengthof the eighth hole, that also runs behind the green. The website is www.egremontcountryclub.com and the phone is 413 528 4222.
You will find the Berkshire courses challenging, scenic, less crowded and less expensive than the golf clubs in and around New York or Boston. Bring your clubs and come to the Berkshires!